* "Prayer is the enthusiasm of childhood, the refuge of youth and peace
during old age."
* "Prayer helps education to cultivate truth, morality, faith, devotion,
mutual respect among people."
* "He who prays to God every day would never be without truth, morality,
faith and devotion, and would never turn against his master or society."
* "When we pray with a heart full of devotion, God accepts it and we
receive blessings in return."
* "If man does not raise his hands in prayer for himself and for the
sake of his people, even after knowing God, how can we say man is better
than animals who are not wise and cannot think about their future."
* "Prayer is, in many ways, the golden chain that binds this world to
the feet of God."
* "Pray earnestly to God during day and night. Such prayer is the best
way to remove the darkness and fatigue in us: and also the means to attain
salvation and the Kingdom of Heaven. Put your faith in God and pray to Him."
* "God is on the side of the poor. Remember God in what ever you do;
then everything will turn out for good."
* "Whatever is due to the Church must be given forthwith. If your mind
is pure in that matter, your house will also be pure. If in such things you
think of any gain or revenue, then you will lose that ten-fold. Therefore
all of you be pure in depending on God, in brotherly love and in loving your
* "Don't try to be smart, nor be foolish. Never love body more than
sprit, and money more than God."
* "Forgiveness is strength. It gives a person good name. It is the
distinguishing feature of righteous people."
* "Consult God in everything; consult your father too. If your father
abandons you, God will also abandon you. Do not be adamant in silly things,
which will bring in dislike of both God and men."
* "Never be proud. Let God save you from every grave danger. Hold on to
God in everything. He will bless you abundantly."
* "Avoid arrogance, quarrel, and pride while dealing in Church matters;
instead, let your humility shine before others. Those who place their trust
in God, and satisfy the people are blessed. May God bless them."
* "Remember God in every thing. Let no one grieve because of you. Never
let go of an opportunity to do something good. Only those things will remain
with you till the end."
* "As far as possible never do evil to any one; or it will ruin you,
your children and your house. Hold on steadfastly to prayer, fasting and
works of charity. Do them with faith and devotion."
* "If you are lazy, your learning cannot progress. Hold on to God tight.
Humility should be the best ornament for you."
* "Death is at everybody's door. Keep that in mind."
* "You must regularly read the Holy Bible. You must obey your spiritual
fathers and increase their good name and honor before God and men by your
* "Those who disobey their parents and join their enemies, are liable to
be cursed by them. They will not inherit the legacy of their parents and
will be disqualified for this world as well as the next."
* "Never be proud, pride is followed by fall. Humility is followed by
* "If there is a quarrel in the family, keep away from it. A quarrelsome
house is the haven of the devil; and God is nowhere near it."
* "Be rich in love of man and love of God. Brothers should never cheat
each other. When you move away from unity you are sure to move away from
* "It is not spiritual wisdom to try to conquer the enemy with evil than
with virtue. If you depend on the God of Truth and go out with a truthful
heart, God will accomplish things for you."
* "Loss and difficulties come when God moves away. On such occasions,
never look for a reason or another. Instead, know that God has kept away
because of your sins; then cling to God, he will show mercy upon you."
* "Be obedient in all your dealings. Identify the good and love it;
throw away laziness; be enthusiastic to do good things, day and night."
(From 'Saint Gregorios of Parumala' published by Sunday School Association)