Friday, October 17, 2008

Finding God in the Park

Finding God in the Park
By Michael Josephson

Abe was fiercely independent, even at age 85, but after a mild stroke his son insisted he move in with him. Abe missed going to the park near his old apartment, and one Saturday he set out to find it.

He became disoriented and asked a young boy where it was. The boy, Timmy, said he’d like to take Abe there but didn’t have time because he was looking for God. Timmy said he needed to talk to him about why his parents were getting a divorce.

“Maybe God is in the park,” said the old man. “I’d like to talk to him, too, about why he’s made me useless.” And they set off together to find God.

At the park Timmy began to cry about the divorce, and Abe lovingly held his face in both hands and looked him straight in the eyes. “Timmy, I don’t know why bad things happen, but I know it’s not because of you. I know you’re a good boy and your parents love you and you’ll be okay.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sure.”

Timmy gave Abe a big hug and said, “I’m so glad I met you. Thanks, I can go now.”

Across the street, Timmy’s mother saw them hug and approached her son worriedly. “Who was that old man?”

“I think he’s God.”

“Did he say that?” she demanded.

“No, but when he held me and told me I’m going to be okay, I felt better. Only God can do that.”

When Abe got home, his son asked in a scolding voice, “Where were you?”

“I was in the park with God,” Abe said.

“Really? What makes you think you were with God?”

“Because he sent me a boy who needed me. When the boy hugged me, I felt God telling me I wasn’t useless.

No comments:

Orthodox Christmas in January?